American taxpayers pay the highest prices for brand-name prescription drugs yet do more than any other nation to fund Rx research: an average of $1200/year more than anywhere else in the world. Our new drug pricing legislation would help lower skyrocketing prices with market-driven competition to #EndRxMonopolyPrices
- We are unveiling bold, bicameral, patient-first legislation to address the prescription drug affordability crisis: The Medicare Negotiation and Competitive Licensing Act. Patients are burdened by astronomical drug prices—as these same patients’ tax dollars go into protecting these government-approved, government-funded monopolies. It’s past time for a patient-first plan.
- Top healthcare concern for Americans is skyrocketing prescription drug prices. The number one measure that Americans support to rein in those costs is Medicare negotiation.
- This is the patient-first plan that Americans demand: A bold approach to Medicare negotiation that harnesses the government’s purchasing power and relies on market-driven competition to restrain monopoly pricing. Join the movement for affordable prescription drugs for the patients, for the people. It’s time to use good old American competition to finally end monopoly prices.
- Ever since the ability for Medicare to negotiate fair drug prices was explicitly prohibited in the original bill in 2003, we have been fighting for patients’ rights. Big Pharma has spent more lobbying the federal government than any other industry, blocking every meaningful effort to rein in soaring prescription drug prices. In this improved People’s House, we can finally break ground on healthcare solutions for American families. In this new Congress, let’s find the strength to overcome one of the most powerful lobbies in America.
- President Trump called for Medicare negotiation during his campaign, and has even said that Big Pharma “gets away with murder.” President Trump could even find common ground and deliver a real victory for the American people. As we keep seeing prices rise, it's clear that President Trump cannot tweet prescription drug price gouging away. President Trump should follow advice of Candidate Trump, reject the advice of the Big Pharma executives he appointed to control his agenda, and support our efforts for Medicare Negotiation and Competitive Licensing to end monopoly prices.
- It’s long past time to put patients over price-gouging. As patients ration insulin, suffering when they cannot afford their medication, Big Pharma keeps raising their prices higher and higher. The sky seems to be the limit in whatever these government-approved monopolies can extract from the sick and dying. The real remedy is substantive legislation, not more Trump tweets.
Why don't patients have affordable prescription drug prices? Trump's own HHS Sec. Azar said it well: "Because of the drug companies." Our new bicameral bill would promote real competition for fair drug prices. For patients—for the people. #EndRxMonopolyPrices #ForThePeople Click To Tweet
Time to put patients over price-gouging. That's why we introduced legislation to allow Medicare to finally negotiate on behalf of Americans. #EndRxMonopolyPrices Click To Tweet
Let's open up the market for prescription drug prices—and keep patients from being taken advantage of by Big Pharma. Our bill demands that the Trump Administration #EndRxMonopolyPrices. Click To Tweet
It's time for a unifying strategy to confront soaring prescription drug prices. Our new bill would empower Medicare to negotiate fair drug prices on behalf of patients. It's time to #EndRxMonopolyPrices. Click To Tweet
Let’s repeal & replace the current Republican-imposed law to prohibit Medicare negotiation on behalf of patients. Let’s act NOW to #EndRxMonopolyPrices. Click To Tweet
Trump’s approach? Just trust Pharma to put consumers first. Our approach: Allow Medicare to negotiate on behalf of patients—and finally #EndRxMonopolyPrices. Click To Tweet
As Rx drug costs skyrocket, we have authored a people-first, patient-first plan that harnesses the government’s purchasing power & relies on market-driven competition. It’s time to use good old American competition #ForThePeople to finally #EndRxMonopolyPrices. Click To Tweet
It’s past time to allow real innovation for prescription drugs #ForThePeople—taxpayers shouldn’t be hit once when they subsidize pharmaceutical research and again when they pay for soaring prescription drug costs. Let’s act now to #EndRxMonopolyPrices. Click To Tweet
It's been 9 months since Trump released his drug pricing blueprint, and we have yet to see either lower prices or meaningful corrective action. Time to end Pharma monopoly pricing & pass our people-first, patient-first plan to #EndRxMonopolyPrices. Click to Tweet
Trump keeps suggesting people can already “see” drug prices declining. But truth is: “Drugmakers kicked off 2019 with price increases in the United States on more than 250 prescription drugs, including the world’s top-selling medicine, Humira” per @Reuters. #EndRxMonopolyPrices Click To Tweet
Prices of the 20 most commonly prescribed brand-name drugs for seniors have risen nearly 10x the annual rate of inflation over the past 5 years. The bottom line is Big Pharma’s monopoly is forcing Americans into buying overpriced drugs. #EndRxMonopolyPrices Click To Tweet
Prescription drug companies continue to increase drug prices. Despite President Trump’s promises, there have been no breakthroughs in affordability for consumers. We need negotiated prices and market-driven competition to put patients first & #EndRxMonopolyPrices. Click To Tweet
1/3 of the top 12 selling drugs had price spikes of over 100% since 2012:
- 🔺163% Lyrica
- 🔺155% Enbrel
- 🔺114% Humira
- 🔺144% Lantus
Big Pharma shouldn't be able to gouge Americans w/ outrageous prices for Rx drugs. Time to act to #EndRxMonopolyPrices #ForThePeople.
Social Media Graphics
Our Medicare Negotiation and Competitive Licensing Act is aimed at tackling soaring prescription drug prices by offering a market-driven approach to restraining monopoly pricing. #EndRxMonopolyPrices
American taxpayers pay the highest prices for brand-name prescription drugs yet do more than any other nation to fund Rx research: an average of $1200/year more than anywhere else in the world. Our new drug pricing legislation would help lower skyrocketing prices with market-driven competition to#EndRxMonopolyPrices.
Nine pharmaceutical companies are spending $50B on stock buybacks from the #GOPTaxScam instead of lowering prices or increasing R&D. Time to put patients over price gouging. #EndRxMonopolyPrices
At least one pharma CEO may think it’s a “moral requirement …to sell the product for the highest price,” but the true moral responsibility is to ensure patients can access the medicines they need. That is why I am working to #EndRxMonopolyPrices #ForThePeople.
Big Pharma is TERRIFIED of this bill, and pulling out ALL the stops to get MoCs to drop their co-sponsorship of this bill. We need to *really, actually* call and thank members for co-sponsoring, and we need them to see and hear that their constituents want them to stand up to the drug companies misleading attack on patients, to protect price gouging.
MEMBERS OF CONGRESS TO THANK ON SOCIAL MEDIA:
Cisneros (CA) @GilCisnerosCA
Clarke (NY) @RepYvetteClarke
Courtney (CT) @RepJoeCourtney
Espaillat (NY) @RepEspaillat
Evans (PA) @RepDwightEvans
Gonzalez (TX) @RepGonzalez
Higgins (NY) @RepBrianHiggins
Horsford (NV) @RepHorsford
Kim (NJ) @AndyKimNJ
Larson (CT) @RepJohnLarson
Richmond (LA) @RepRichmond
Rose (NY) @MaxRose4NY
Ruppersberger (MD) @Call_Me_Dutch
Bobby Scott (VA) @BobbyScott
Suozzi (NY) @RepTomSuozzi
Torres (CA) @NormaJTorres
Velazquez (NY) @NydiaVelazquez